This Cheeseburger Soup will make everyone happy! It is creamy, smooth, filling, comforting, and good for you! If you love cheesy soups, then this recipe is for you. If you love cheeseburgers AND cheesy soups, then you will be in heaven! This soup is the best of both worlds.
This recipe starts with a little olive oil and frozen celery mix that is cooked just until heated through. I used ground beef and seasoning, such as oregano, basil, garlic, and salt. However, you can easily swap out the beef for turkey or chicken and season the ground beef the way you would season a cheeseburger; using only salt and pepper is totally acceptable. A dash of mustard and a few pickles are optional but can lend to the cheeseburger flavor.
Chicken broth and milk that has been whisked with flour make up the “liquid” part of the soup. I layered in elbow noodles to add more sustenance to the soup and it definitely makes it more kid-friendly! I also added a swirl of Greek yogurt into the soup just before serving. The yogurt adds a creamy tang and it also adds dairy’s nine essential nutrients, including protein and calcium, to each serving of this soup.
- 10 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 6-8 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen, onion, celery, carrot mix
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickles
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup shells pasta
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add vegetable mix and cook until vegetables begin to soften, add garlic and cook another minute. Remove vegetables and set aside.
- Add ground beef to the same pot and cook until crumbled and cooked through. Season beef with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. If desired, stir in yellow mustard and pickles.
- Combine vegetables and the beef in the pot, stir in chicken broth. Bring broth to a boil.
- Add pasta and reduce heat. Partially cover the stock pot and allow pasta to cook until al dente.
- Whisk together the milk and the flour, pour milk into the soup, stir until the soup has slightly thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in Greek yogurt just before serving.