I love sneaking in veggies into pasta. When my kids are gobbling up this Baked Spaghetti Lasagna, they have no idea that zucchini and carrots are hidden in the spaghetti sauce and melted cheese.
For picky eaters, pairing fresh fruits and veggies with cheese can help fit in all three essential food groups. To be extra sneaky, just make sure veggies are finely shredded!
This is one of those quick-and-easy meals that is perfect for busy families. You probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen right now. Better yet, the leftovers are just as good for lunch or dinner the next day!
Not only does this casserole include a sneaky serving of veggies, but it’s packed with protein, too, so no one’s saying “I’m hungry!” an hour after dinner. I layered the spaghetti noodles with a combination of eggs, Greek yogurt, cheeses and Italian sausage. I guarantee everyone will be asking for seconds!
If you’re looking for more family-style meals, try my Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with a side of Homemade Bread with Honey.
Baked Spaghetti Lasagna
- 8 servings
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb spaghetti basil for garnish
- Prepare pasta according to package information, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown Italian sausage until fully cooked and no longer pink. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, garlic, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, yogurt, oregano, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Combine pasta sauce with finely shredded zucchini and carrot.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Spoon 1/3 cup of pasta sauce over the bottom of the baking pan. Top sauce with 1/3 of the spaghetti, followed by half of the cheese mixture, half of the meat mixture and another 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat layers ending with the remaining pasta sauce. Top lasagna with 1 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
This sounds great is there anyway to get it sent to my email?