This creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole tastes so rich and delicious! This easy pasta dish has all the classic chicken cordon bleu flavors but made quickly and simply.
Lately, I have been struggling to come up with meal ideas for my family. I am lacking in inspiration. When this happens, I tend to turn to classic recipes. One of my favorite things to do is take a classic recipe and make it family-friendly and easy! That is exactly what I did with this chicken casserole. This recipe has all the flavors of a classic chicken cordon bleu, but it is made in a family-friendly casserole that everyone will love!
A few tips for making this recipe:
- I used Rotini pasta, but you could also use fusilli, shells, elbow macaroni, egg noodles, or any other pasta that is good for capturing the sauce.
- To keep things light, I used reduced-fat evaporated milk and chicken broth for the white sauce. Chicken broth adds flavor, and the evaporated milk will give the sauce that creamy texture, all while keeping calories and fat down.
- Swiss cheese is always so creamy and adds a lovely tang to any recipe. Swiss cheese is lower in fat than other cheeses. I used both Guggisberg Baby Swiss and Pearl Valley Mild Swiss for this recipe. Both are award-winning Swiss cheeses made in Ohio (Ohio is the top Swiss cheese producing state!). I also added Monterey Jack cheese for its mild, neutral taste.
- Rotisserie chicken makes preparing this dish a breeze! Any leftover cooked chicken will do!
- Deli ham is fine for this recipe, as is any cubed leftover ham.
- Panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs can usually be found with traditional bread crumbs in your local grocery store.
This casserole is freezer-friendly! Make sure to cool the casserole completely, then wrap tightly with aluminum foil. It will be good for up to one month.
Looking for more family meal ideas? Try my Baked Spaghetti Lasagna (kids will never know there are veggies hidden in the layers of cheese!) or one-pan Skillet White Chicken Lasagna. My Spinach & Cheese Frittata is good anytime, too!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 30 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 50 minutes
1 lb rotini pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 12-oz can reduced-fat evaporated milk
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup diced deli ham
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup Panko
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or a Dutch oven, whisk in all-purpose flour until mixture is combined and thickened. Add garlic. Whisk in chicken broth and evaporated milk and a little Dijon mustard until smooth.
- Add shredded Swiss cheese and Monterey Jack cheese to the milk mixture, whisking until the cheese has melted. Stir in shredded chicken and diced ham.
- Combine the pasta and sauce, and pour into a greased casserole dish
- In a small bowl, combine Panko breadcrumbs, breadcrumbs, and melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over the casserole and then bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is golden and the cheese is bubbly.