There are few things in life better than a good mac and cheese recipe, and this one is not only perfectly cheesy and creamy, but it’s also made in the slow cooker!
In the past, I have always put my mac and cheese together and baked it in the oven, but this Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese is great for bringing this dish to potlucks, tailgate parties and holiday gatherings. The cheese sauce is super creamy and flavorful, and I even made this recipe just a tad bit healthier by adding some Greek yogurt without losing any creaminess.
Greek yogurt is a tasty and healthy way to lighten up those favorite comfort foods. Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt, which helps to keep you fuller longer, and it packs in dairy’s nine essential nutrients. It adds creaminess and tang, too. Try it in place of heavier ingredients like mayonnaise, heavy cream and oil!
Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 hours
- 12 servings
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water to al dente, about 6-7 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and cheese on medium low heat and stir until completely melted.
- Lightly spray a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and add the melted cheese and butter mixture, cooked noodles, milk, evaporated milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook covered on low for 2-2½ hours, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the Greek yogurt and stir until completely combined. Turn off the slow cooker and serve hot.