Let’s raise our milk glasses in a toast to a French toast breakfast fit for a queen — also known as “Mom.” Just imagine her face when her breakfast-in-bed is a steaming plate of Cinnamon Yogurt French Toast with Whipped Lemon Yogurt Topping and Mixed Berries, brought to you by Spoonful of Flavor.
After starting her day with this breakfast, Mom will be ready for hours of fun! Greek yogurt is baked into this scrumptious French toast, sneaking in an extra punch of protein, and it makes the tangy, light lemon topping even creamier, without adding extra calories.
Did you know: Just 6 ounces of Greek yogurt has 14-17 grams of protein! If you don’t know the difference between regular and Greek yogurt, find out here. Try using it in spring desserts and dips to lighten them up!
Pairing fresh spring fruits and veggies with your favorite dairy foods, such as yogurt, can also help fit in an extra serving of dairy. For stronger bones, there’s no better source than dairy foods, which provide essential bone-building nutrients!
Once you’ve mastered this French toast recipe, try your hand at making Ice Cream French Toast!
Cinnamon Yogurt French Toast with Whipped Lemon Yogurt Topping and Mixed Berries
- 10 slices
For the Mixed Berries:
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries or raspberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons water
For the Whipped Lemon Yogurt Topping:
- 1/3 cups cold heavy cream
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, if desired
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
For the French Toast:
- 10 slices of bread, 3/4 inch thick (French, brioche or challah)
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Unsalted butter, for cooking
- To prepare the berries, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 3/4 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, honey and water. Cook and stir until berries are soft and slightly thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the remaining berries and stir gently to combine; set aside.
- To make the whipped lemon yogurt topping, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment (you can also use a hand mixer) add the heavy cream. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the yogurt, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a shallow baking dish, arrange five slices of bread in a single layer. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, yogurt, vanilla and cinnamon; whisk to blend. Pour the mixture over the bread and let stand for 3 minutes. Turn the slices over and let stand for an additional 3 minutes.
- Preheat a large skillet and coat the bottom of the pan with butter. Add a few pieces of soaked bread to the skillet and cook on each side until golden brown. While the first batch is cooking, add additional slices of bread to the baking dish to soak, 3 minutes on each side. Repeat until all slices are cooked.
- To serve, top the French toast with whipped topping and fresh berries. Serve immediately with maple syrup, as desired. Enjoy!