This Cottage Cheese Toast recipe is healthy, filling, and savory featuring sliced avocado, fresh tomatoes, and hot honey. Assemble this delicious brunch recipe in 10 minutes or less.
It puts an unexpected twist on a classic snack and one of the healthiest cheeses: cottage cheese. It’s creamy and cool, but spicy and sweet.
Like avocado toast or sweet potato toast, this recipe can be a blank canvas for tons of creativity and flavor. It’s healthy, filling, and a great option for an easy breakfast (or any meal) to make in a pinch.
This dish is so much more than your average bowl of plain cottage cheese. And there are more than a few reasons to love it:
- Healthy: Having cottage cheese first thing is a great way to help hit your daily value of protein.
- Customizable: There are so many simple ways to switch up this toast every time. Add your favorite sweet or savory toppings and never have it the same way twice.
- Quick to grab and eat: Throw it together in under 10 minutes, eat it with your hands, and take it on the go.
- Enjoy it any time of day: As a healthy breakfast on a busy morning, an easy lunch or afternoon snack, or a savory after-dinner treat.
Here are a few recipe variations to allow people to customize their toast.
Ideas for savory toasts:
- Chopped green onions, salt and pepper, and hot sauce
- Roasted peppers, salt and pepper, and olive oil
- Cucumbers, fresh dill, and garlic powder
- Mango salsa and fresh cilantro
- Sun-dried tomatoes and basil (tastes like pizza!)
Ideas for sweet toasts:
- Sliced fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, or peaches, honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Jam and thinly sliced almonds
- Fig jam, fresh sliced figs, and fresh basil
Cottage Cheese Toast
- 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5-6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Cottage Cheese Toast:
- 1 slice sourdough bread or crusty bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- ½ avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup cottage cheese whole milk, 2%, or fat free
- ¼ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- Start by making the hot honey. Add the butter to a pan and melt over medium heat. Add the garlic and crisp it for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the spices and chili flakes and cook for another minute. Stir in the honey then remove from the heat and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Allow it to cool slightly while you make the toast.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Use a pastry brush to brush the melted butter on top of the bread. Place it on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler for 4-6 minutes. Keep a frequent eye on the toast to prevent it from over-browning. Remove it from the oven when the edges and top are slightly golden brown.
- Carefully remove it from the oven and immediately rub a clove of garlic on the surface of the bread.
- Allow the toast to cool slightly then arrange the avocado evenly on top in a single layer. You could also mash the avocado and spread it on.
- Add a spoonful of cottage cheese and spread it to the edges. Place the sliced tomatoes on top of the cottage cheese. Drizzle the toast with hot honey and sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving.
- This recipe makes ¼ cup of hot honey, which yields enough for 6-8 pieces of toast. You can easily make more toast for a crowd, or store the hot honey in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month. Warm the hot honey over the stove before using it again as it will thicken/harden as it cools. For no spice, just drizzle regular raw honey on top of the toast.