Dip your bread into melted ice cream for this irresistible two-ingredient Ice Cream French Toast. It’s as easy to whip up for breakfast or brunch as it is delicious!
Ice Cream French Toast was made popular by famous Parisian chef Jacques Pepin. It uses melted ice cream as a custard base for the most tender and delicious French toast you will ever taste. It’s perfect for Mother’s Day breakfast-in-bed, a special holiday breakfast, a fancy brunch or just a fun family meal.
Use your favorite ice cream for endless flavor options. We tested this recipe with vanilla bean ice cream, as well as strawberry ice cream. I recommend using full-fat ice cream. If you choose a lower fat content, be sure to watch carefully, as the French toast may cook more quickly and burn easily.
Kids especially will love dipping the bread in melted ice cream, and the preparation is so quick and easy that you might just decide to make French toast with ice cream every time!
Have you ever tried making ice cream? Get my recipe for No-Churn Cheesecake Ice Cream.
Ice Cream French Toast
- 6 minutes
- 8 slices
8 slices bread
2 cups ice cream (any flavor)
Butter, for frying
Maple syrup (optional)
- Melt ice cream in the microwave in 30-second increments until fully melted. Transfer to a plate.
- Place bread into the ice cream and turn to coat both sides.
- Using low heat, melt butter in a pan. Place bread slices onto the pan, making sure not to over-crowd.
- After 1-2 minutes, or when golden, flip bread and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with syrup and fresh berries.
Notes: Any ice cream flavor can be used to make Ice Cream French Toast.