Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad is a hearty pasta salad that is perfect for summer get togethers or backyard BBQs. Cheese tortellini is mixed with cubes of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, pepperoni, Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs, then tossed in a light Italian dressing.
I like to bring this salad to a get together because it feeds a crowd and is like a meal all in itself. The nice thing about this tortellini pasta salad is that it is very customizable to your tastes and what you have on hand. I often will add in green olives, red bell pepper, artichokes or pepper jack cheese.
Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 15 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 6-8 servings
For the Pasta Salad:
1 20-oz bag refrigerated cheese tortellini, cooked
1 cup pepperoni, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
6 oz roasted red peppers, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
5 green onions, white and green parts chopped
1 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
For the Salad Dressing:
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
- If you are making a homemade Italian dressing, prepare it ahead by placing all ingredients in a mason jar and shaking until combined. If not, you can use your favorite store-bought Italian dressing.
- Cook the tortellini in salted water according to the directions.
- Drain the tortellini and then rinse with cool water and drain.
- Add the tortellini to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the tortellini and gently mix together.
- Pour half of the dressing over the salad and gently toss. Taste and add more dressing to taste or save the remaining dressing and add to the salad before serving.
- The dressing will need to be shaken before using if you let it sit for because the ingredients will begin to separate.
- Do not overcook the tortellini. You want to cook them until al dente. If you overcook them then they can start to fall apart.
- Add other ingredients like artichokes, olives, banana peppers, pepperoncini, chickpeas, white beans, salami, bell peppers or cucumber.