Chipotle Lime Chicken Taco Bowl
by Spoonful of Flavor
One of my favorite days of the week is Taco Tuesday. Not like I need an excuse to eat these Chipotle Lime Chicken Taco Bowl with Creamy Mango Sauce, which can be made in advance and reheated for easy dinners any night of the week. The easy mango sauce adds a touch of sweetness, with a kick!
If you’re a fan of build-your-own taco bowls, this recipe was made for you. I combined some of the freshest flavors, including chicken, beans, cheese, vegetables, fruit and herbs. The easy-to-make chipotle lime grilled chicken is combined with black beans, fresh guacamole, shredded cheese and a mango red pepper salsa, then served over cilantro rice and topped with mango chipotle sauce.
The sauce couldn’t be any easier to make and complements the flavors of the other ingredients. Puree fresh mango, adobo pepper paste, lime juice and sour cream in a food processor, then drizzle over everything.
Ta-da, now all you need is a fork and it’s a fiesta!
- 1 hour
- 30 minutes
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 bowls
Chipotle Lime Chicken Taco Bowl with Creamy Mango Sauce
For the chipotle lime grilled chicken:
Juice from 2 limes
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
2 medium chicken breasts
Dash of salt
For the cilantro lime rice:
Juice from 1 lime
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
1 cup long grain white rice
Dash of salt
For the mango chipotle sauce:
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup coarsely chopped mango
1 to 2 teaspoons chipotle paste*
For the taco bowls:
Juice from 1 lime
1 cup chopped mango
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup Monterey jack or Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup fresh guacamole
- To make the chipotle lime grilled chicken, in a medium bowl whisk together the lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, chipotle chili powder and salt. Add the chicken to the bowl and marinate for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- To make the cilantro lime rice, in a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add rice and a dash of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- While the rice is cooking, add all of the ingredients for the mango chipotle sauce to a food processor. Puree until well blended and smooth; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mango, red pepper, onion and lime juice. Stir until well blended; set aside.
- After marinating chicken, prepare grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the grill directly over the fire and cook until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes on each side.
- To assemble the taco bowls, divide the cilantro rice between two bowls. Top with grilled chicken, mango-pepper salsa, black beans, cheese and fresh guacamole. Drizzle with mango chipotle sauce and serve.
Notes: I use 1 teaspoon chipotle paste for mild chipotle flavor. Use 2 teaspoons for additional heat. You can also use pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce instead of the paste.