Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole is flavorful and a nice way to mix up your side dish game. Roasted cauliflower is mixed with mozzarella and cheddar cheese and baked until soft and bubbling. It makes a nice holiday side dish or a vegetable to serve with dinner!
Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole is loaded with dairy, which adds protein to this plant-based side dish. Dairy and plants together provide essential nutrients that many Americans often lack, including calcium, vitamin D, potassium, and fiber. Cauliflower is boiled until tender and then baked with milk, butter and three kinds of cheese. The dish is finished off with breadcrumbs and fresh parsley.
Some of my other favorite ways to pair dairy with veggies are by enjoying feta cheese and Greek yogurt in a Mediterranean Buddha Bowl, making easy Roasted Red Pepper Greek Yogurt Hummus and mixing veggies into Instant Pot Vegetable Mac and Cheese.
Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 45 minutes
1 head cauliflower, separated into florets
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons butter, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup cream or half and half
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup panko or regular breadcrumps (optional)
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a large pot, boil salted water and add cauliflower. Cook the cauliflower for about 8 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just tender. Drain.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the garlic, oregano and cream and whisk well.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, spray with non-stick spray. Spread half the cauliflower on the bottom of the dish in an even layer.
- Pour the cream mixture over the cauliflower and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese.
- Spread the remaining cauliflower in the baking dish. Sprinkle the sharp cheddar cheese over the cauliflower and then place the butter throughout the dish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is just bubbling.
- If you want to add breadcrumbs, add them with about 5 minutes left. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cauliflower and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower dish from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve warm.