Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is the BEST grilled cheese! It’s so easy to make grilled cheese in the air fryer, and the result is a perfectly crisp, gooey, buttery sandwich you’ll want to eat every day of the week.
I didn’t think anything could top a classic grilled cheese sandwich, browned to golden goodness on the stovetop. Then, I tried making grilled cheese in the air fryer. Rather than just browning the outside of the sandwich, the air fryer works its voodoo magic on every inch of the bread, transforming it into crisp, buttery perfection.
The edges have such a satisfying crunch, I couldn’t keep myself from stealing nibbles off the corners of my kids’ sandwiches. Needless to say, this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is a game changer and so easy to make.
Here are a few tips for making grilled cheese in the air fryer:
- I’m a lazy air fryer and almost never preheat mine. I just don’t find it necessary, especially for something fast and simple like this.
- Lighter breads might flop around a bit in the air fryer. To avoid this, just stick a toothpick through the center, and you’re good!
- Different breads will brown at different rates, so definitely keep a close eye on the sandwiches and adjust the time as needed.
Get more tips for making the perfect grilled cheese here — like choosing cheeses that melt easily, such as Swiss, Cheddar, Gouda, Muenster, Gruyere and Brie. For flavor, try adding an aged cheddar, Swiss, Gruyere, gouda, or spicy cheese, like Pepper Jack. When developing this recipe, I used Guggisberg Cheese and Pearl Valley Cheese, two brands made locally in Ohio.
Grilled cheese is the perfect way to satisfy a sweet and salty craving. Consider pairing salty meats like ham or bacon with sweeter spreads or fruit.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 5 minutes
- 8 minutes
- 13 minutes
- 2 sandwiches
4 slices bread (such as Italian, sourdouhs or white sandwich bread)
3 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
1 cup shredded cheese (like cheddar, American, Swiss or Muenster)
- Butter one side of each of the 4 slices of bread.
- Divide the cheese into two equal portions. Sprinkle it evenly on the unbuttered side of two slices of bread.
- Sandwich the bread together than place in your air fryer. Secure with a toothpick (optional). Cook at 375 degrees for 5 minutes, then flip. Continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Your specific cook time will depend on the type of bread you use and your specific air fryer. Keep a close eye on the sandwiches the first time you make them to avoid overcooking. Click here for more topping ideas and cheese recommendations.