One of my favorite parts of being a parent is getting the chance to start our own family traditions — most of which revolve around food.
Take our movie nights, for example. Many Friday nights we like to kick back and relax together after a busy week. We can’t have a family movie night without snacks. Snacks are important. And, now that summer is just about here, we are moving into summer-themed refreshments. AKA: Milkshakes!
With years of milkshake-making experience under my belt, I have figured out the perfect ratio of milk to ice cream to add ins for the ultimate milkshake. Creamy, drinkable, not too thick, not too thin – just perfect!
Milkshake Basics for One Large or Two Small Milkshakes:
- 4 oz milk
- 6 scoops ice cream
- 1/2 cup chunky add-ins
- 2 tablespoons sauce-y add ins (caramel, butterscotch, marshmallow, chocolate – if using)
If you want a slightly thicker milkshake, add a touch more ice cream, if you want it thinner, add a bit more milk. Do not add ice or you will regret it. It waters down the milkshake in both texture and flavor. Neither of which you want.
This is one of my favorite combinations: The Turtle Milkshake. This features classic, creamy vanilla ice cream, cold milk, pecans, chocolate chips, and a few tablespoons of creamy caramel sauce. You can use homemade or your favorite store-bought.
My kids LOVE this turtle milkshake – especially when you top it with all the extras and make it look super fancy.
They like feeling fancy. Who doesn’t?
- 10 minutes
- 2 milkshakes
- 4 ounces milk (I used whole, but you can use lowfat, if desired)
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup pecans (halves or pieces)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Whipped cream and additional pecans, chocolate chips and caramel sauce for topping
- Place milk, ice cream, pecans, chocolate chips, and caramel sauce into a blender. Blend for about 60 seconds or until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Divide milkshakes between two glasses and top with whipped cream and additional pecans, chocolate chips, and caramel sauce if desired.