You only need 2 ingredients & about 40 minutes to bake up a batch of these easy to make, protein-packed Mixed Berry Greek Yogurt Bagels!
Since I have been on a kick lately to eat healthier, I have made it one of my goals to incorporate more lowfat Greek yogurt into my cooking and baking. Not only it is one of my favorite ways to lighten up some of my go-to recipes, but Greek yogurt also happens to be high in protein (aka, keeps me feeling fuller for longer), and it packs a nutritional punch by delivering dairy’s nine essential nutrients. Check out some of the differences between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt.
Since I love using Greek yogurt in my baking, I decided to give the latest foodie trend a go — making soft and fluffy bagels using only two ingredients: self-rising flour and protein-packed Greek yogurt! Yes, I was a little skeptical myself at first. But after baking up a batch of these Mixed Berry Greek Yogurt Bagels, I am definitely a believer.
Making fresh-baked bagels at home really couldn’t get any simpler, folks. You just mix the Greek yogurt into the self-rising flour, knead it a little, shape them and then pop into the oven. I brushed them with a simple egg wash before baking them to help with the browning process a little, but you could totally skip that step if you wanted to.
These bagels turned out perfectly chewy on the outside with a soft and fluffy center on the inside. Just slice, toast and serve, topped with your favorite cream cheese.
My Banana Split Greek Yogurt Pancakes are another tasty way to use Greek yogurt to lighten up a favorite breakfast recipe. I also used Greek yogurt to cut calories in my French Onion Roasted Potato Salad, which is a summer cookout staple.
Mixed Berry Greek Yogurt Bagels
- 15 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 6 bagels
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1/4 cups lowfat mixed berry Greek yogurt (approximately two 5.3 oz. cups)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and Greek yogurt using a sturdy spatula until it forms a shaggy dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about five minutes until the dough is smooth & elastic.
- Divide the dough into six equal parts and then shape each portion into a large ball. Punch a hole in the center of each ball using your thumb. Gently pull and stretch the dough to form a bagel shape. Repeat this with the remaining dough balls.
- Place the bagels onto the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Brush the egg wash over top of each bagel.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, rotating the baking sheet about halfway through until baked through and golden brown.
- Serve warm with cream cheese on the side. Enjoy!