The husband and I love to have family and friends over for a cookout or to celebrate summer holidays. We fire up the grill, break out the cornhole set, and prep the fire pit for s’mores-making once the sun goes down. My husband often grills burgers and hot dogs or smokes baby back ribs to perfection in his smoker. I am always in charge of the side dishes for our little summertime get-togethers.
In the past, we have served a traditional mayo-based potato salad at our BBQ’s, but I decided to change it up for our cookout this year. For this French Onion Roasted Potato Salad, I lightened up our usual potato salad with a little Greek yogurt. Then I amped up the flavor by oven-roasting the potatoes instead of boiling them and mixing in a packet of onion soup mix.
Try lightening up favorite dishes with Greek yogurt! Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt, which helps to keep you fuller longer, and it packs in dairy’s nine essential nutrients. Six ounces of Greek yogurt typically contains 14–17 grams of protein. It adds creaminess and tang to salads and dips, too!
French Onion Roasted Potato Salad
- 15 minutes
- 1 hour
- 6-8 servings
- 1.5 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed & chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 packet of dry onion soup mix
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onions, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Add the chopped potatoes, olive oil, and salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Toss to coat evenly. Spread the prepared potatoes in a single layer onto a large baking sheet.
- Roast the potatoes for 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning halfway through the baking time. Potatoes are done when they are golden brown and fork tender. Let the potatoes cool completely.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, mix together the Greek yogurt and onion soup mix in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the cooled potatoes and chopped celery; mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped green onions.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.