This light, lemony Smashed Chickpea Salad is refreshing and crunchy and all kinds of delicious. It’s a great vegetarian lunch to meal prep too. You gotta love, also, that it’s all on-hand ingredients and there’s no cooking required.
Plus, this chickpea salad packs some extra protein because we’re using Greek yogurt for the creamy element in this salad. It adds richness, some tang and brings everything together. Greek yogurt is a healthy substitute for heavier ingredients like mayonnaise, oils, sour cream, cream cheese and heavy cream.
A few notes on this salad:
- You can make this salad as chunky as you like, depending on how much you pulse the chickpeas and how finely you chop the veggies. It’s just a matter of personal preference.
- Start with one tablespoon of lemon juice and add more if you like. Keep in mind that the lemony flavors will mellow a bit in the fridge as this sits too.
- I do highly recommend you chill the salad before you enjoy it. The flavors all meld together, and it sets up better after at least a half hour in the fridge.
- Finally, the hot sauce is optional, but I highly recommend. Especially if you have one that’s more flavorful than just pure heat, it’s a great way to add a little punch of flavor.
This chickpea salad is the perfect side to go with my Cheesy Italian Chicken Burgers at cookouts. I love pairing veggies with dairy foods to make low-carb Mashed Cauliflower Casserole and combining it with chicken, beans and whole grants to make protein-packed Cheesy Chicken Quinoa Casserole.
Smashed Chickpea Salad
- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 45 minutes
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespooons Dijon mustard
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
Dash of garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper
Few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until mostly broken down. It’s fine to have some chunky pieces or to make them really small - just depends on the texture you prefer.
- Mix the chickpeas with the remaining ingredients, starting with one tablespoon of lemon juice, in a medium bowl until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and hot sauce if using. Add additional lemon juice, if desired.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to combine and the salad to set up.
- Serve as a side salad, as a dip for crackers and fresh veggies, or pile it on a sandwich or wrap with your favorite toppings.
Notes: Extras of the salad will keep, in a covered container in the refrigerator, for up to a week.