Cheesy Italian Chicken Burgers
by Family Food on the Table
Cheesy Italian Chicken Burgers are juicy and so flavorful with just a few simple ingredients, including sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, garlic and Italian seasoning. They are topped with melty mozzarella cheese and great for a delicious, easy dinner!
NOTES ON ITALIAN CHICKEN BURGERS:
- I use lean ground chicken that’s usually labeled 90% to 93% lean. The super lean kind (99% lean) doesn’t have very much flavor, in my opinion.
- You can also make your own ground chicken. Cut a pound of raw chicken breasts into smaller pieces and place them in a food processor. Pulse and process until the chicken breasts are broken down. You can use half chicken thighs too if you want to mix in some dark meat.
- I typically make our burgers in a skillet on the stove, but you can definitely grill them, if you prefer.
- I have made these without the Parmesan cheese in the burger patty and they were still delicious. But it does add a great cheesy note and some umami flavor!
A pro tip on melting your mozzarella cheese (this works for any cheese you add to a burger really): Put the cheese on after flipping the burgers, and let it melt as the burgers finish cooking.
However, if it isn’t melting down enough, cover the pan with a lid for the last minute. The steam helps the process along.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes? Greek yogurt is a delicious marinade for chicken, helping make it extra tender—try easy Yogurt Marinated Chicken or Honey Mustard Yogurt Chicken Skewers either baked or on the grill.
- 10 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 4 burgers
Cheesy Italian Chicken Burger
1 lb. lean ground chicken (about 90% lean)
3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1/4 inch thick each)
Burger buns, sliced tomato, leaf lettuce or arugula, sautéed onions and mushrooms, fresh basil, prosciutto, pesto for topping
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese (if using), garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Mix until just combined, using a fork or your hands.
- Shape into 4 even patties, about 1/2 inch thick each.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the burgers to the pan when hot and cook for 5-6 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook these over a well-greased grill on medium-high heat.
- Flip the burgers over, add a slice of mozzarella to the top of each one and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the burgers are done. If your cheese isn’t melting enough, you can cover the pan with a lid during the last minute of cooking time to help it along.
- Let rest for a few minutes so the burgers retain their juices. Serve hot on burger buns with desired toppings and enjoy!