Not only the flavor of coffee, but I love the ritual of coffee-making. From picking out my mug (I have a collection of assorted mugs, no two are the same), to smelling the aroma of the coffee as it brews, to adding in my favorite flavor creamer.
Another thing I love? Recreating coffee house drinks at home. Because, I don’t know about you, but I do NOT want to pay $6 for a drink that I can make at home, easily.
My Mocha Latte recipe requires ZERO special equipment. No espresso maker required! I use a mason jar and lid and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE. If you have an aerator that you can froth your milk, that works. But, seriously, just a mason jar works, too!
Coffee beverages like lattes, cappuccinos and macchiatos are also a tasty way to fit in a serving of dairy! Not sure the difference between all those coffee specialty drinks? You’ll be an expert with this handy cheat sheet!
A few tips for making homemade lattes:
- Start with double strength coffee. I brew my coffee extra strong when I know I’m going to be making a latte. You’ll dial down the coffee flavor as soon as you add the milk, so you want to be sure that your coffee is strong enough to taste! You can also make espresso if you prefer.
- Heat your milk in a jar for THREE, 30 second intervals in the microwave. After each 30 seconds, put a lid on your jar and shake it. Be careful though, the jar gets hot!
- Use any type of hot cocoa mix for making the mocha. There are some great “flavored” cocoas that would be yummy (salted caramel anyone??). Add it to your coffee mug before the coffee. Give it a good stir with the hot coffee before adding your frothy milk!
Go the extra mile and add some whipped cream and chocolate syrup. ENJOY!
- 2 servings
- 2 cups (16 oz.) strong brewed coffee
- 4 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1/2 cup milk whipped cream and chocolate syrup for garnish, optional
- Brew 2 cups of strong coffee (double strength or espresso).
- In a mason jar or glass pitcher, heat milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. If using the mason jar technique, screw lid on tight and shake jar vigorously for a minute until frothy. Repeat for a total of 3 times (90 seconds of heating).
- To serve: Add 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix to two mugs. Pour hot coffee into mugs, and stir until hot cocoa is blended. Slowly pour frothy milk over coffee. Add whipped cream and chocolate syrup, if desired (highly encouraged)!