These Grinch Cookies are a fun and easy holiday cookie recipe, filled with delightful peppermint flavor! They’re soft-baked green sugar cookies inspired by the classic holiday story, rolled in sugar and topped with heart sprinkles.
If you grew up with How the Grinch Stole Christmas on repeat every year, relive this childhood classic in the form of a sweet homemade sugar cookie!
Dyed bright green like the iconic Dr. Seuss character, each buttery bite of these cookies is filled with fresh peppermint flavor. I garnish my cookies with a small candy heart that’s ready to grow three sizes. It’s the perfect Christmas cookie recipe for the Whos in your life, the tall and the small!
I recommend gel food coloring over water-based food dyes for the brightest, most vibrant colors. Regular green food coloring (like the kind you’ll find in the grocery store) also works in a pinch. However, the colors won’t be quite as vibrant, and too much liquid food coloring can water down the dough.
Make these Grinch cookies the best that they can be with the following tips and tricks:
- Adapt the color. Feel free to adjust the amount of green food coloring to achieve your desired color. Note that the cookies may bake slightly lighter depending on the food coloring you use.
- Use a cookie scoop. Portioning sugar cookie dough with a large cookie scoop is the easiest way to make perfect, even-sized drop cookies.
- Use room-temperature ingredients. Take your butter out of the fridge ahead of time to soften to room temperature.
- A tip for the sprinkles. These do fall off if they are not properly stuck to the cookie. Consider using a drop of melted chocolate on the back of the sprinkles to help them attach to the cookie. In this case, wait until the cookie is cooled.
- 30 minutes
- 12 minutes
- 42 minutes
- 20 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon salt
Additional 1/2 cup granulated sugar for finishing
Electric Green Gel Color
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine the butter with the sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and green gel coloring. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Slowly add into the dough and beat on medium-low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Use a large cookie scoop and portion the dough. Roll each ball of dough in granulated sugar and then place each one about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes. Immediately when pulled from the oven, place a heart-shaped sprinkle on top.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Different extracts: In place of peppermint extract, use all vanilla extract or try almond extract.
- To Store: Store these Grinch cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- To Freeze: Sugar cookies freeze well, so you can stash these cookies in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and store them frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw the cookies on the counter before serving.