Cereal Milk Overnight Oats are made with cereal milk and packed with protein from Greek yogurt. Add a scoop of protein powder or chia seeds to keep you full even longer!
Overnight oats are a quick and easy way to meal-prep breakfasts for your family’s busy weekday mornings. Soaking the oats in milk and yogurt gives you a quick, no-bake breakfast that can be refrigerated up to five days in advance. There are endless variations on overnight oats, but today we have a unique “cereal milk” recipe that both kids and adults will love!
The overnight oats ratio we suggest is 1:1 oats-to-milk, with half the amount of yogurt. For cereal milk, we suggest 1:2 cereal to milk (1 cup of cereal soaked in 2 cups of milk, etc.). While customizing this recipe can be fun, don’t let the options overwhelm you! Some basic cereals that we suggest are:
- A fruity cereal
- A chocolate or cinnamon cereal
- A classic cereal such as multigrain O’s or frosted wheat squares
- You can also adjust this recipe to use chocolate milk, strawberry milk, or any dairy you choose!
You can also replace Greek yogurt in overnight oats recipes with cottage cheese for a delicious variation! Scoop cottage cheese straight from the container or blend into a whipped and creamy consistency for delicious cottage cheese overnight oats.
Don’t miss another cool, protein-packed breakfast: Milk & Cereal Breakfast Popsicles, made with Greek yogurt, milk, cereal and bananas.
Cereal Milk Overnight Oats
- 3 minutes
- 8 hours
2 cups milk
1 cup cereal
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup cereal milk
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons whey protein powder (optional)
2 Tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
For the Cereal Milk:
- Pou the cereal into a jar or bowl with a lid and cover it with milk. Adjust the recipe as needed. Use the ratio of 1 part cereal to 2 parts milk.
- Steep cereal milk in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Strain the milk through a mesh sieve or cheesecloth. Discard the cereal. Store the milk in the refrigerator until needed.
For the Overnight Oats:
- Combine oats, cereal milk, and Greek yogurt. Add whey protein powder, chia seeds, and vanilla extract if desired.
- Divide into jars or containers with lids. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Top with fresh fruit, nut butter, cinnamon, or dry cereal pieces, and enjoy!
- Greek yogurt is packed with protein- use any flavor that you find delicious!
- A scoop of protein powder or chia seeds will add additional protein.
- You can use vanilla extract, honey, maple syrup, or the sweetener of your choice. However, sweeteners may not be necessary, depending on the cereal that you choose.
- Adjust this recipe to use chocolate milk, strawberry milk, or any dairy that you choose!
- Overnight oats are meant to save you time in the morning. Make a bunch for your family and enjoy cold, or warm them up in the microwave for up to 1 minute. Be sure to use a glass jar or microwave-safe container and heat uncovered.