During the busy holiday season and throughout the school year, getting a healthy dinner on the table can be tricky. Getting takeout or ordering delivery seems so easy, and it is, but it’s not always the best choice. A home-cooked meal often offers lots of advantages, including some you may not be aware of!
My solution for easy, hearty and healthy meals is a slow cooker dinner like this Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup. I love enchiladas, but they are one of the most time-consuming meals to make, next to lasagna. To speed up the process, I decided a creamy soup loaded with everything you find in traditional enchiladas would be a great alternative.
The creaminess in this soup doesn’t actually come from heavy cream but rather a lighter combination of lowfat cream cheese and Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is my go to substitution when I want to make a creamy dish lighter on fat and calories. It adds richness and a little tang, not to mention you’re getting the 9 essential nutrients from dairy along with extra protein. Not only does Greek yogurt work well in this soup, but you can also use it to lighten up dishes that use heavy ingredients, such as dips and cream sauces. Try my Cinnamon Maple Greek Yogurt Squash Casserole, too, for a healthy twist on a holiday favorite.
Save yourself some stress and calories and arm yourself with healthy and easy-to-make recipes like this Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup.
Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 15 minutes
- 3-6 hours
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, green chile powder if you can find it
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika Kosher
- salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces diced green chiles
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 4 ounces lowfat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 2% or full fat may also be used
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro & lime wedges for serving
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 3 minutes then add in the grated garlic and sauté another minute. Add them into to the slow cooker.
- Add the ingredients through the cannellini beans into the slow cooker, stir, cover with the lid and set on low for approximately 6 hours, medium for 4 hours or high for 3 hours.
- When the time is up remove the chicken breasts and let them cool for several minutes before shredding. Add the corn into the slow cooker.
- While the chicken cools, whisk together the cream cheese and yogurt in a medium sized bowl until combined. Ladle some of the broth into the bowl and whisk until the yogurt/cream cheese mixture warms and thins out. Essentially what you are doing is tempering it so it doesn't curdle when added into the slow cooker.
- Once the yogurt/cream cheese mixture is warm, pour it into the slow cooker and whisk everything together.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir everything together. Serve immediately topped with cheese, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.