Light and Creamy Barbecue Chicken Salad is made with Greek yogurt, barbecue sauce, yellow onion and a few simple seasonings to create a chicken salad that you will want to eat all year long!
The recipe combines a few simple ingredients to create a fun twist on a classic summer meal. Shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, Greek yogurt and seasonings are mixed together and layered with fresh lettuce and pineapple. Pack the chicken salad for a picnic or serve at a backyard barbecue. Kids and adults will love this simple recipe packed with flavor!
One serving of milk, cheese or yogurt provides 8 grams of high-quality protein and a powerful package of nine essential nutrients. Experts recommend three servings of low fat or fat free dairy foods every day. I love lightening up my favorite dishes with Greek yogurt! Six ounces of Greek yogurt typically contains 14 to 17 grams of protein. It also adds a creaminess and slight tanginess that I love.
Go ahead, try this Light and Creamy Barbecue Chicken Salad!
Light and Creamy Barbecue Chicken Salad
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce + more as desired
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Fill a 3 to 3.5-quart sauce pan full of water. Add the chicken breasts and garlic clove. Bring to a full boil and then turn off the heat and cover the pot. After 12 minutes, remove one of the breasts and cut into the thickest part to check to see if they are done (they should be cooked through and register at least 165°F on an instant-read thermometer). If there is any pink, return to the pot for another 15 minutes. Drain chicken through a colander, discard the garlic clove and cool slightly.
- Chop or shred the chicken into small pieces. Add the chicken and onion to a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, barbecue sauce, honey, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Add the yogurt mixture to the large bowl with the chicken mixture and toss well to combine. Add more barbecue sauce, as desired. Serve on bread with sliced pineapple and greens or layer over a salad. Serve immediately or store chicken salad in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Enjoy!