Meet Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Ohio food blogger Emily of Jelly Toast. It’s grilled cheese perfection that melts in your mouth: Swiss cheese and fresh asparagus, seasoned with garlic, folded between two pieces of crispy sourdough bread.
This past fall, Emily sampled award-winning Swiss cheese straight from the aging room during a visit with us to Pearl Valley Cheese in Fresno, Ohio, one of the amazing Ohio cheesemakers that helps make the state number one in Swiss cheese production!
Cheese is the second greatest source of dietary calcium for Americans, and it can help fill the protein gap. Lowfat cheese adds high-quality protein to a healthy diet, as well as calcium, phosphorus and vitamin A.
Also, grilled cheese is a great way to sneak in a serving of vegetables, especially for picky eaters! Suddenly, they’ll realize it’s just so easy to go green.
Asparagus Grilled Cheese
- 4 sandwiches
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, thinly sliced, tough ends removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 8 pieces of sturdy sandwich bread (I used Sourdough)
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded, divided
- Softened butter
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus and garlic and sauté until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a griddle or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Place 4 pieces of bread on a work surface. Place 1 ounce of cheese on each slice of bread. Divide the asparagus mixture evenly and spoon on top of the cheese. Top asparagus mixture with remaining cheese and the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Spread the top the bread with butter, and place sandwiches butter side down on the griddle. While the first side cooks, spread the other slice of bread (now the top slice) with butter. Flip when first side is golden brown. Remove sandwich when bread is golden and cheese is melted. Serve immediately and enjoy!