All About Milk
by Sharon Maynard RD LD
What has nine essential nutrients, more protein than an egg and is wet all over? Milk! How much do you really know about the delicious, nutritious beverage we should be drinking daily?
- Milk is that it’s one of the most highly regulated foods in America.
- All types of milk — conventional, organic, whole, 2%, 1%, fat-free, or lactose-free — they are equally safe and wholesome.
- The dairy industry has reformulated the flavored milk offered in schools to reduce fat, calories and added sugars by 38% because they know how important milk is for healthy students.
- All milk makes it from the cow to the store in just two days.
- Each 8 ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of protein.
- 85% of Americans aren’t consuming enough dairy foods each day.
- Experts recommend 3 servings of dairy foods every day.