5 Reasons Student Athletes Should Drink Chocolate Milk
by June Wedd
After exercise, rehydrate with a beverage rich in carbohydrates and electrolytes such as lowfat or fat-free chocolate milk. It’s just what an athlete needs — a carb: protein ratio of 3:1, is a good source of potassium, and has a moderate amount of sodium. Every 8 ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of protein, making it a great source of high-quality protein!
Chocolate milk provides:
- Carbohydrates to provide energy
- Protein to help build and repair muscle
- Fluids to rehydrate
- Vitamins and minerals to build strong bones and bodies
Did you know?
- Complex carbohydrates like lowfat or fat-free milk, fruit, vegetables and whole grains are essential to meeting the body’s demand for energy
- Getting enough calcium and vitamin D is important to develop strong bones and muscles
- Muscles need protein for growth and repair