Do you love the taste of dairy foods, but sometimes feel gassy
or bloated after having milk, cheese or yogurt? If so, there are
ways that you can enjoy low fat and fat-free dairy foods,
without experiencing discomfort or embarrassment.
Why dairy matters
Milk and milk products are an important source of key nutrients,
such as calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin D, for all people -
including those who are lactose intolerant, or cannot easily digest lactose, the sugar found naturally in milk. Health and nutrition
experts agree that it's difficult to get enough of these nutrients
without dairy in your diet.
Enjoy dairy again
- Try lactose-free milk and milk products. They are real milk
products, just without the lactose, and provide the same great
nutrients as regular dairy foods.
- Start with a small amount of milk daily and increase slowly
over several days or weeks.
- Mix milk with other foods, such as smoothies, soups or sauces -
or pair it with meals. This helps give your body more time to
- Top sandwiches or crackers with natural cheeses such as
Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella and Swiss. These cheeses
are low in lactose.
- Shred your favorite natural cheese onto soups, pastas and
salads. It's an easy way to include dairy that is low in
- Enjoy easy-to-digest yogurt. The live and active cultures in
yogurt help to digest lactose.