Do you love the taste of dairy foods, but sometimes feel gassy or bloated after having milk, cheese or yogurt? If so, there are ways that you can enjoy low fat and fat-free dairy foods, without experiencing discomfort or embarrassment.
Why dairy matters
Milk and milk products are an important source of key nutrients, such as calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin D, for all people - including those who are lactose intolerant, or cannot easily digest lactose, the sugar found naturally in milk. Health and nutrition experts agree that it's difficult to get enough of these nutrients without dairy in your diet.
Enjoy dairy again
- Try lactose-free milk and milk products. They are real milk products, just without the lactose, and provide the same great nutrients as regular dairy foods.
- Start with a small amount of milk daily and increase slowly over several days or weeks.
- Mix milk with other foods, such as smoothies, soups or sauces - or pair it with meals. This helps give your body more time to digest it.
- Top sandwiches or crackers with natural cheeses such as Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella and Swiss. These cheeses are low in lactose.
- Shred your favorite natural cheese onto soups, pastas and salads. It's an easy way to include dairy that is low in lactose.
- Enjoy easy-to-digest yogurt. The live and active cultures in yogurt help to digest lactose.